NEZ Softball Tournament
The Serenity Landry Memorial Spirit of Sport Fair Play Tournament is open to all Recreational Softball Teams from Mites to Midgets.
This is an open tournament with teams from NEZ, from across the City and from around the Province. Categories offered will be dependant on team entries.
- Dates: June 17, 18 & 19, 2016
- Location: NEZ Henry Singer Softball Park
- Entry Fee: $300.00
For more information contact Joselyn Smith at 780-475-1967 or email@example.com
Serenity Landry was a young lady who passed away on February 10, 1994 at the age of 14. Serenity and her parents loved the sport of softball. She played in the NEZ for 7 seasons, playing Coach-Pitch in Lago Lindo, Mites and Squirts in KGR and Peewee AA for the Edmonton Elks and the Edmonton Warriors. Serenity enjoyed the sport because she had fun, made many friends and had many great experiences. She was a caring girl who played fair and enjoyed an honest effort made by everyone at the diamond.
Each year the tournament Fair Play Committee will select one team to win the Serenity Landry Fair Play Award. This award is won not only by the players, but by the parents and coaches as well. Since children learn by example, the actions of parents and coaches can affect the values, perceptions and behavior of all the players.
- If the players see all the other players on the team being given a turn, they will learn to treat people equally and fairly.
- If the players are rewarded for playing fairly, they will learn the value of honesty and integrity.
- If the players learn the importance of rules in a game, they will learn to respect and value the rules in society.
All teams participating in our tournament are eligible to win the Fair Play Award. Throughout the tournament you will see NEZ Softball Committee members and Fair Play Committee members watching your games. All teams will be evaluated to determine the winner of the award. The award will be presented on the final day of the tournament.
The Spirit of Sport Fair Play Award is presented to a team who:
- Demonstrates exceptional fair play behavior before, during and after every game.
- Plays an active role in promoting the principles of fair play. (ie: respect for the rules; respect for the umpires; respect for the opponents; maintaining self control at all times)
- Parents, coaches and fans participate in the game with an attitude of fair play. Support all the players and the umpires.